Hydraulic fracturing (fracking) is a water intensive process. And often this work is done in areas that are drought prone, where water becomes an even more valuable resource. So reclaiming or reusing water can provide a great savings in both cost, and in the water itself.
Aeration is a valuable, inexpensive, cost saving tool in this process.
Aeration benefits include...
- oxidizing sulfide reducing bacteria, which mitigates hydrogen sulfide odors
- helps to stabilize pH
- helps to strip hydrocarbon gases and volatile compounds
- oxidizes metals so they can be filtered or settled
- prevents sludge buildup and surface matting
- and it enhances evaporation
Fracking ponds at a drill site in Utah that had aeration added, demonstrated a reduction in BTEX chemicals: after fourteen days, benzene was reduced by 54 percent; toluene by 39 percent, and xylene by 52 percent.
There are cost savings benefits for treating waste water on site as well. Estimates are that by reducing or eliminating transport, up to $150,000 may be saved per well.
Our aeration packages provide a number of benefits..
- Robust mixing—Aggressive sub-surface aeration, creates a draft that pulls water and liquefied organic matter up from the floor, thoroughly churning and circulating the entire water column to keep solids in suspension and prevent sludge accumulation.
- Efficient aeration—Fine bubble diffusers maximize oxygen transfer efficiency while minimizing energy consumption.
- Easy installation—Self-weighted and portable, our aerators are quickly installed from the surface with no system downtime.
- Low maintenance—Our systems have no submerged moving parts to clog or malfunction. The anti-fouling design, with self-checked diffusers and self-cleaning EPDM membranes, means maintenance is kept to a minimum.
- Energy efficiency—Sub-surface aerators are 30–50% more energy efficient than surface aerators, reducing energy demands and expense.